People always ask “Dan, what’s the BEST way to learn SEO?” These are the top places I usually send people to build a FOUNDATION of terms and concepts of SEO.
This is the fastest way to learn the core essentials before getting overwhelmed by all the noise out there.
If you notice I do NOT recommend spending too much time on blog, news and headlines while you are building your foundation! They are often fleeting, biased or industry specific. Instead, start below.
RESOURCES / LINKS
1. Google Starter PDF – //static.googleusercontent.com/media/www.google.com/en//webmasters/docs/search-engine-optimization-starter-guide.pdf
2. Google Guidelines – //support.google.com/webmasters/answer/35769?hl=en
3. Moz Beginner’s Guide – //moz.com/beginners-guide-to-seo
4.1 My SEO Podcast – //www.evolvingseo.com/wire
4.2 List of Other SEO Podcasts – //upcity.com/blog/top-20-seo-and-marketing-podcasts-you-should-listen-to/
5. Google Webmaster Office Hours – //www.youtube.com/user/GoogleWebmasterHelp/videos
6. Google Search Quality Raters Guidelines – //bit.ly/GSQRG
6a – Quality Raters Guide Summary – //moz.com/blog/google-search-quality-raters-guidelines
7. Moz Algo Change History – //moz.com/google-algorithm-change
8.1 Moz Q&A – //moz.com/community/q
8.2 – Google Webmaster Forum – //productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/webmasters
9. Top 10 SEO Patents – //www.seobythesea.com/2011/12/10-most-important-seo-patents-part-1-the-original-pagerank-patent-application/
10. Events (Meetup.com or Eventbrite)
11. Clarity.fm to Hire Consultant – //clarity.fm/browse/sales-marketing/search-engine-optimization
12. Nuzzle – //nuzzel.com/
BONUS: Paul Haahr Google Search Engineer – //www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJPu4vHETXw
BONUS #2 – I forgot to mention. Take a course!! They are much faster than reading blogs. Here’s one I taught on ConversionXL